Good day Parents
First of all, we trust and pray that you and your families will stay safe during this time. We thank all those parents, who keep their sick learners at home and isolate the family if someone tested positive. We need to do everything possible to keep everyone safe, at home and in school. We need to do everything possible to stop spreading the virus.
Unfortunately, the Covid virus also started between our learners and teachers. As from the first positive case, on 26 May, in the FET phase, until Friday 4 June, we had eleven positive cases reported between learners. At this stage there is no more than one child in a specific class who tested positive. So, there is no need to isolate a whole class.
Two of our teachers were in contact with a positive case. They isolated, but did not show any symptoms and are already back again. Three other teachers tested positive, but there was no correlation between them and any learners who tested positive.
We are monitoring the situation everyday and will take the necessary steps should it be needed.
The following are steps that we already had to implement:
– The whole FET group was sent home to isolate, because a few tested positive and many claimed they were close contacts. (some because they broke the rules e.g. Not wearing a mask, not keeping distance, share food and drinks etc)
– The whole school is back to 50% attendance – they come in smaller groups.
– This will also help to have the groups in the buses much smaller.
– The classes are sanitised every afternoon after all learners and teachers left.
– The whole school was sanitised and deep cleaned by a company on 30 May.
– The buses are sanitised everyday – once when all learners are dropped off at school in the morning and again at the depot after all learners were dropped after school.
– We still request parents to keep their children at home if they are sick.
– If we identify a learner with symptoms at school, the teacher will send the child to the office. We will check the symptoms and if necessary, we will contact the parents to fetch the child.
– We try our best to keep the school free from the virus.
– Learners are sanitised through-out the day.
After all we are very proud about the attendance every day, if you take in consideration all flu and seasonal sickness we normally experience during winter. Well done, we are proud of our Parents and Learners.
IF A CHILD IS ABSENT ON THE DAY, HE/SHE SHOULD WRITE A TEST/EXAM, YOU NEED TO HAND IN A LETTER FROM A DOCTOR. If not, the child will not be allowed to re-write the test.
We are trying our best to keep all safe and, in the meantime, teaching must also carry on. We monitor the situation the whole time and our last option will be to go back to online teaching. We understand that many parents are working and for many it is difficult to make time to teach their learners after work.
Let us all take hands and fight this virus back. We will not lie down. We will keep on praying for every body’s safety and together we will stand strong.